We are currently looking for someone to fill the following position:
Senior Application Developer/Software Engineer
We are looking for an experienced, driven and passionate lead software developer to work closely with our CTO to build our in-house software capabilities. Your main responsibility will be to head up development of one our native apps (Android or iOS) to work with our hardware. This will require the ability to sketch, prototype and develop software solutions in line with our R&D plan and user driven improvements. You will also lead the development and maintenance of our native mobile apps and, as a senior developer, provide support to others working across the product.
As we have recently launched our first product, focus will be on the refinement and development of existing and new features driven by feedback from our users. As the company grows there is scope for opportunities to work on backend projects and data science (including machine learning and sensing).
The applicant will work in a small, multidisciplinary team and will need the ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds and specialisms. Curiosity and ability to communicate with everyone will be key.
- Maintain and develop new features for our native mobile apps for Android or iOS to deliver unique and reliable experiences to our customers.
- Ensure that our software and applications are kept up to date with relevant software platforms and compliant with relevant legal frameworks.
- Advise, build and test prototypes for internal and external testing purposes.
- Work closely with CTO and product team to continually improve the product and customer experience.
- Work closely with the CTO and R&D team to develop new features for our existing and future products.
- Communicate clearly to entire team process and progress on key technical matters.
- To assist and advise on technical and software strategy.
- Develop and maintain key testing procedures for all outputs.
The ideal candidate
You’ll be an experienced, creative and confident developer who has experience building and maintaining native mobile applications for the consumer market which rely on BLE communications to function. You will enjoy the flexibility of working in a small company and be excited by the opportunity of working on an innovative and novel product.
- Fluent in Swift/Java, developing for iOS or Android both front and back end.
- Experience with the BLE stack and communications for Bluetooth 4.0 and above.
- Knowledge of IoT and wireless communication systems.
- Curiosity for new ideas and opportunities to directly interact with people (physical, not just digital).
- Experience dealing with data storage and encryption.
- An interest in and passion for our product and our goals.
- Ability to self-manage and work in a small team.
- Relevant practical experience or a relevant degree.
Desirable skills and experience
- Previous experience working with hardware, firmware and middleware.
- Previous experience creating and maintaining libraries and plugins.
- Previous experience working with the Nordic Semiconductor SDK.
- Previous experience in a busy work environment.
- Previous experience with legal and compliance frameworks, ie. the GDPR.
- Work prototyping with UI/UX teams and customer insights.
Salary: £45,000 to £65,000 per year
To apply, please send a covering letter (no more than one page) and a copy of your CV (no more than two pages) outlining your suitability for the role and your interest in working at doppel to firstname.lastname@example.org
doppel is a mental wellbeing startup bringing calm and focus to people around the world when they need it most. We apply research in psychology and neuroscience to create useful technology that empowers people to change how they feel.
Our first product, doppel, is a wristband that has been shown to reduce stress and increase focus, naturally, and within moments. It works by creating a silent vibration on the inside of your wrist which feels like the ‘lub-dub’ of a heartbeat. doppel's natural, psychological effect works in a similar way to music - slower rhythms are calming, and faster rhythms help you feel focused. Results showing doppel’s calming effect have been published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Scientific Reports, and thousands of people have used doppel to stay calm under pressure and focus on the task ahead.
Following a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2015 we’ve taken doppel from a concept to reality - all with a core team of six people. The company has won numerous awards, grants and competitions - most recently the 2018 UK Business Angels Association award for Best Female-Led Investment - and the product has received significant press interest in titles ranging from Forbes and the BBC to Women’s Health and Wired. Most importantly, doppel has now been launched into the world and the feedback is that it’s changing people’s lives!
Why you should join us
doppel was created by four co-founders with backgrounds spanning design, engineering and science, and we work with world leading experts in psychophysiology. We are a diverse, passionate team working together to create ground-breaking products to help people improve their mental wellbeing.
Our growing team are defining a new form of technology, one that works with a person’s mind and body to tackle some of the biggest mental health challenges we face today. You have a chance to be part of an organisation that has the potential to have a huge positive impact on the world.
We’re at an incredibly exciting time for the company as we move beyond pre-orders and start to grow sales. This is a fantastic opportunity to have a voice in this journey, make an impact and develop your own role. We want every person who joins doppel to become an integral part of our team, and we want them to learn, develop and have fun working together on a cause they are passionate about.
We’re looking for ambitious, talented people to join us and make the world a calmer place.